Sometimes Non-Stick is Not Optimal: Sticky Cinnamon Buns

The "enriched dough" chapter of Meyer's Bakery includes a variety of recipes, but there is one recurring theme. There are recipes for cinnamon loaf, cinnamon sticks, sticky cinnamon buns, cinnamon swirls... as one of the recipe headnotes states, "Cinnamon is a spice I never get tired of." I never get tired of cinnamon either, so even though I had made a couple of batches of Meyer's cinnamon swirls, I still wanted to try his recipe for "Sticky Cinnamon Buns."

These rolls use a different dough than the cinnamon swirls. It's a "luxury enriched dough" that you make by dissolving fresh yeast in cold milk and mixing in an egg; adding flour, sugar, and salt, and kneading until smooth; and adding cubed salted butter and kneading until absorbed and the dough is shiny. After letting the dough rest for an hour, I rolled it out into a rectangle; spread on a mixture of salted butter, sugar, and cinnamon (the same filling that is used in the cinnamon swirls); rolled up the dough; and cut it into slices. I let the rolls rise for a few hours before brushing them with egg and baking them. You're supposed to drizzle the cooled buns with dark chocolate, but I skipped this step.
My buns looked a little anemic. The ones pictured in the cookbook are fairly modest -- definitely not the fat, puffy cinnamon buns that we are accustomed to in American shopping malls. But mine were particularly unimpressive and there were actually visible gaps between the layers of dough. Also, they were not sticky at all. The buns in the cookbook photo don't look like they're sticky either -- but the "sticky" descriptor in the recipe name made me wonder where my buns went wrong. These buns tasted good, but they were nowhere near as satisfying or beautiful as the ginormous, fluffy, cinnamon swirls. I would just stick with the swirls in the future.

Recipe: "Sticky Cinnamon Buns" from Meyer's Bakery by Claus Meyer.

Previous Post: "Fresh Yeast Brings a Taste of Copenhagen Home: Meyers Bageri Cinnamon Swirls," March 30, 2019.

Comments