Instant Pudding Mix Makes Some Darn Good Cake: Pistachio Bundt Cake

I can't remember exactly why, but for some reason I baked a couple of Hazelnut Gâteaux Breton for my husband's office while I was on furlough. (By the way, I will never, ever get tired of that Brittany hazelnut cake. I have made it many times over the years and each time I taste it, I am amazed at how good it is.) The byproduct of those cakes was a dozen extra egg whites. So I decided to use them to make the "Pistachio Bundt Cake" from Christina Tosi's All About Cake.

All of the ingredients in the cake and glaze are items I usually keep on hand, with one glaring exception: the cake requires a package of instant pistachio pudding mix. I loved Jell-O instant pudding as a kid and pistachio was my favorite flavor. But as an adult, I only buy it when it's needed for a recipe -- as I did for St. Patrick's Day back in 2013 when I made King Arthur Flour's pistachio shortbread.

The recipe requires a blender but not a mixer. First, you make a pistachio paste in the blender by grinding warm pistachios with oil. After you get a paste, you whisk in more oil, heavy cream, corn syrup, and a lot of egg whites. In another bowl, you combine powdered sugar, flour, almond flour, granulated sugar, instant pistachio pudding mix, baking powder, and salt. Then you just add the wet ingredients to the dry, stir to combine, and pour into a greased and floured Bundt pan.
I let the cake cool completely before adding the glaze, which is a mixture of homemade pistachio paste (made in the blender again), powdered sugar, milk, oil, and salt. I finished off the cake with a sprinkle of toasted pistachios.

The glaze set semi-firm, where I could still smear it with my finger but it held its shape well enough for me to get the sliced cake to my husband's office with the glaze intact. This cake surprised me, but in the best possible way. I was expecting a poundcake-like texture, but the cake definitely had some bounce -- it would spring back if you pressed your finger into it, like memory foam. The glaze was quite sweet, but it was my favorite part because it tasted so good. The cake really fires on all cylinders -- you get a strong pistachio flavor, bouncy texture, deeply flavorful crust, sweet glaze, and crunchy pistachios. I really couldn't ask for me. This is one of my favorite Bundt cakes, ever. 

Recipe: "Pistachio Bundt Cake" from All About Cake by Christina Tosi.

Previous Posts:

Comments