Baked Sunday Mornings: Green Tea Smoothie

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is an Espresso Martini. The cookbooks by the gentlemen bakers from Baked include a lot of recipes with alcohol. "Booze" is actually singled out as one of their favorite ingredients and gets its own chapter in Baked Elements. Even though I don't drink alcohol, I usually make the boozy recipes as written and hope the final product isn't too alcoholic. Or if I can, I devise a workaround -- like adding bourbon my husband's bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate milk shakes but leaving it out of mine, or omitting the whiskey from the glaze on a cocoa Bundt cake. But I drew the line at the martini. There are only four ingredients (one of which is merely a garnish): an espresso bean, espresso, Kahlúa, and vanilla-flavored vodka. There's no way I could consume a significant amount of what is mostly alcohol with a little espresso. So I went rogue and decided to make the "Green Tea Smoothie" from Baked: New Frontiers instead.
To make the smoothie, you just throw vanilla frozen yogurt, plain soy milk, honeydew, and matcha powder in a blender. I made a couple of minor modifications. First, I used unsweetened almond milk instead of soy milk, just because it's what I had on hand. Second, I didn't want to buy frozen yogurt just to make this recipe, so I used plain Greek yogurt and frozen honeydew instead. I figured I would probably get a similar consistency by using regular yogurt and frozen fruit as I would from using frozen yogurt and fresh fruit.

Anyway, my smoothie did have a nice, thick, easily drinkable consistency. I like green tea and matcha and enjoyed the flavor. However, it was quite tart -- no doubt because I had used unsweetened almond milk and plain yogurt; if I had used sweetened almond milk and vanilla yogurt (frozen or not), I don't think it would have been a problem. The honeydew was really the only thing providing sweetness and I wish I had added more (or maybe even a spoonful of sugar). But I have to admit that I felt pretty healthy drinking this smoothie. This might be the first ever guilt-free recipe I've made for Baked Sunday Mornings!

Recipe: "Green Tea Smoothie" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.

Previous Posts:

Comments