Such Ginger Goodness: Cider-Gingerbread Bundt

I recently re-stocked my supply of boiled cider and decided that I would put it to use by making a Cider-Gingerbread Bundt Cake from King Arthur Flour. Plus, I've been making regular trips to the farmers market for baking apples, so I had everything I need to make the cake on hand.

The recipe is written to be baked in a 5- or 6-cup Bundt pan but I doubled it a baked it in a full-size pan. Making the batter is straightforward. You beat cool butter with oil, granulated sugar, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice until light and fluffy; add eggs; mix in half of the flour, followed by boiled cider, the remaining flour, and molasses; and fold in grated apple (I used Granny Smiths). I poured the batter into a well-greased and floured Bundt pan, baked it, and let it cool for a few minutes before turning the cake out of the pan. It released flawlessly.
While the cake was still warm, I brushed on a glaze made of melted butter, boiled cider, sugar, ground ginger, and cinnamon. There was a lot of glaze and I was able to cover the entire cake with a generous layer that dried into a visible coating on the crust.

I sliced the cake after it was completely cooled. You could hardly see any of the grated apple but you could make out the texture of the apple if you paid attention while eating a bite. This might have looked like just a boring plain cake, but it was loaded with gingerbread flavor. The cake itself and the glaze were both quite ginger-y, which I loved. The texture was tender, with a fine crumb. The cider flavor was there, but it definitely played second fiddle to all of the spices. This was a lovely fall cake and I would recommend it to any fans of gingerbread.

Recipe: "Cider-Gingerbread Bundt Cake" from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Post: "Making Lemons in Lemonade, or Rather, Bundt Cake into Trifles: Ginger Stout Cake Trifles," March 30, 2018.

Comments