Baked Sunday Mornings: Iced Raspberry Tea Granita

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe doesn't require any baking at all -- it's an Iced Tea Raspberry Tea Granita. I've only made granita one time before, and it was also a Baked recipe (a lemon-lime champagne granita). This granita and the one I made previously have something in common: champagne as a major component.

Like last time, I used some cheap champagne that my husband was happy to get rid of. I tossed a half pound of strawberries, a half pound of raspberries, sugar, raspberry herbal tea, some champagne, and lemon zest (I didn't have a lime) into the Vitamix. I blended the mixture until smooth, put it through a sieve, and poured it into a container that I stuck in the freezer. I stirred the granita periodically until it was frozen and then used a fork to scrape it and create icy flakes.
The granita was a vibrant red color. It was very fruity and not very sweet. I enjoyed it but didn't love it because I didn't like the champagne flavor -- but I know I'm an outlier since I don't drink alcohol. My husband thought it was tasty. Also, I think I might have enjoyed it more if I had just used regular black or green tea instead of an herbal raspberry tea. Regardless, this granita was bright and extremely refreshing for a hot summer day. I would recommend this as a light and easy summertime dessert.

Recipe: "Iced Raspberry Tea Granita" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Post: "Baked Sunday Mornings: Lemon Lime Champagne Granita," January 5, 2014.

Comments