The Crumble Gets All the Credit: Rhubarb Crumble Muffins

Continuing my rhubarb baking projects, I tried a recipe for "Rhubarb Crumble Muffins" from BBC Good Food. I rarely make muffins but I figured that with the sweet crumble on top, these would be more like individual coffeecakes.

You make this recipe by hand but it requires two bowls. You need one bowl to make the crumble topping, by rubbing butter into muscovado sugar (I used light brown), flour, oats, and cinnamon. In the other bowl you make the batter by briefly macerating diced rhubarb with sugar; adding all of the liquid ingredients (oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla); and then stirring in the dry ingredients (flour and baking soda). I spooned the batter into a muffin pan with paper liners and sprinkled on a generous amount of crumble before baking.
I liked the way these muffins looked with the crumble topping and more importantly, the streusel was incredibly delicious. I think this crumble would make just about any muffin better! However, while the muffin itself had a lovely springy texture and was moist, it had very little flavor and didn't do much to showcase the rhubarb. Looking at the recipe afterwards, I wonder if the lack of salt might be a contributing cause. Thankfully, the sweet and cinnamon-y topping still made this a good muffin -- but all of the credit goes to the crumble.

Recipe: "Rhubarb Crumble Muffins" from BBC Good Food.

Previous Posts:

Comments