Hats Off to Fudge Caps: Banana Fudge Cookies

With a few more ripe bananas on hand after making a Chocolate Banana Swirl Cake, I decided to try a King Arthur Flour recipe for Banana Fudge Cookies. I was intrigued by the idea of a chocolate cookie stuffed with a slice of banana and topped off with a disc of fudge.

The chocolate cookie dough is straightforward. You beat softened butter with sugar; add an egg and vanilla; and incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). Separately, you make the fudge topping by melting chocolate (I used Scharffen Berger 62% petite baking squares) with condensed milk; I did this in a double boiler since we don't own a microwave. To assemble the cookies you portion out the chocolate dough (I used a #40 scoop); make an indentation in the center of each cookie; place a slice of banana in the "nest"; and top it off with a disc of the fudge (I used a #60 scoop to portion out of the fudge before pressing it into a flat circle). I got 17 cookies from a batch and I ended up with just the right amount of fudge to cover all of the cookies. However, I only needed one medium-sized banana.
During baking, the fudge caps fused with the chocolate cookie to seal in the banana. Unlike the cookies pictured on the King Arthur Flour website, my cookies had large cracks around the edges -- but the fudge portion on top had a smooth finish. These cookies were freakin' delicious. They were crispy around the edges but had a soft and fudgy texture towards the center, with a deep chocolate flavor. The few bites of banana in the center were delightful and put the cookies over the top. I love it when a simple recipe delivers so much satisfaction.

Recipe: "Banana Fudge Cookies" from King Arthur Flour.

Comments

I like to read such wonderful posts, Hats Off to Fudge Caps looks delicious and fun to make.