Baked Sunday Mornings: Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe definitely falls into the savory camp: Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits. While I love spicy food, the particular smokiness of chipotle has never been my favorite -- but I decided to make the recipe exactly as written, with the full dose of chipotle.

Except for the time required to grate the cheese (I used a half pound of Cabot extra sharp white cheddar, because the cheddar display at Whole Foods has been cleaned out of everything else), these biscuits come together quickly. You put all of the dry ingredients (flour, freshly ground black pepper, chipotle powder, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt) into a bowl; use your fingers to work in cubed cold butter; add the grated cheese; and incorporate buttermilk and an egg. I used a #30 scoop to portion out the dough and drop it on a parchment-lined baking sheet; I got 22 biscuits from the recipe.
My biscuits didn't rise very much in the oven and looked more like scones than drop biscuits. The biscuits were aggressively spicy with a heavy smoky flavor -- and I personally would have preferred less chipotle (and perhaps more cheese), or perhaps just diced jalapenos instead. I also thought the texture of the biscuits was a little heavy. Because they were so spicy, I decided to serve the biscuits with some sweet sorghum butter (inspired by The Dabney), which I made by adding some sorghum syrup and a pinch of salt to softened unsalted butter. The sorghum butter was a fantastic accompaniment.

I was surprised how popular these were with my tasters, but they were a hit. I don't think I would make these again, but if you're a fan of chipotle, these might be right up your alley.

Recipe: "Chipotle Cheddar Biscuits" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Previous Posts:

Comments