The Cherries Sink but the Lemon Is Uplifting: Lottchen's Kirschkuchen (Sunken Lemon-Cherry Cake)

Spring weather has finally arrived in Washington, D.C. and now I can't wait for summer fruit season to get here! In the meantime I noticed a jar of tart cherries in the cupboard and thought I should use them up. Luisa Weiss has several recipes in Classic German Baking that can be baked with canned cherries, so I decided to make her recipe for "Lottchen's Kirschkuchen (Sunken Lemon-Cherry Cake)." Weiss describes it as having "a fine, tender crumb heavily scented with lemon peel, which underlines the sour punch of the cherries."

This cake is a snap to put together. You cream together room temperature butter and sugar; add eggs and lemon zest; incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt); and fold in drained canned cherries. I also reserved a few cherries to press into the top of the cake after I poured the cake into a 9-inch loose-bottomed pan lined with parchment.
After the cake was baked and cooled, I topped it with some powdered sugar. When I cut the cake it was chock-full of cherries. I had used an entire 24-ounce jar of Zergüt cherries even though the recipe only calls for 500 grams. I really liked the bright lemon flavor of this cake and the generous amount of cherries in every bite. This is a simple, homey cake that doesn't have any bells or whistles. But it's a solid performer. Weiss suggests serving it with lightly sweetened whipped cream, which would be lovely.

Recipe: "Lottchen's Kirschkuchen (Sunken Lemon-Cherry Cake)," from Classic German Baking by Luisa Weiss.

Previous Posts:

Comments