Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: Welcome Baby Juliet!

I recently supplied a cake for an office party to welcome a co-worker's new baby -- and two-month old baby Juliet was in attendance and absolutely adorable.

In anticipation of making a cake for this occasion, I purchased a silicone mold months ago to make fondant baby clothes. After decorating the cake with some baby clothes, a rope border, and a very brief message, I thought the cake still needed a little something -- so I added a white fondant peony that I tinted with a little pink petal dust.
This was a simple cake design, but I was still quite pleased with the result. Underneath the fondant, there were three 10-inch layers of white butter cake that were filled and frosted with strawberry mousseline.

Recipes: "Base Formula for White Butter Cake," "Mousseline Buttercream (Strawberry Variation)," "Strawberry Puree and Sauce (Lightly Sweetened)," and "Classic Rolled Fondant," from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

Comments