Cardamom Can Be Too Strong: Spiced Cherry Breakfast Ring

While I used up all of the cherries I bought on the Fourth of July making a sour cherry slab pie, I was able to buy some more tart cherries at the farmer's market the following week. I've been making more yeasted breads lately and thought that the Spiced Cherry Breakfast Ring from King Arthur Flour looked tasty (and actually, you can make the recipe with either tart or sweet cherries).

While the shape of the finished bread makes it look impressive, the recipe is straightforward. I put all of the dough ingredients (milk, water, softened butter, sugar, salt, instant yeast, an egg, ground cardamom, ground ginger, and flour) into my Kitchenaid mixer and kneaded it with the dough hook until smooth. I let the dough rise, rolled it out into a rectangle, spread over the filling (chopped pitted sour cherries, Instant ClearJel, cinnamon, and sugar); rolled it up into a log and pinched the seam shut; connected the ends to form a ring; and used scissors to cut partially through the ring at regular intervals and turned each slice to the side. I let the ring rise, brushed it with egg wash, and put in the oven to bake.
When the bread was completely cool, I drizzled over a glaze made from powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. I sprinkled Swedish pearl sugar on top. I thought that the slices of bread were just lovely; each had a good amount of cherries swirled inside. I was happy with the way this recipe turned out.
However, I didn't like the flavor of the bread. I am not generally a fan of cardamom and I wasn't expecting it to be the primary flavor of this bread. But the cardamon was inescapable. I think if the cardamom was replaced with cinnamon, or just eliminated altogether, I would have liked the bread much better. Still, I received great feedback from my tasters and I know that there are a lot of people out there who love cardamom. It's just not my cup of tea.

Recipe: "Spiced Cherry Breakfast Ring" from King Arthur Flour.

Comments