The Fairest of Them All?: Snow White Layer Cake with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting

I decided to make Abby Dodge's "Snow White Layer Cake with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting" for a recent office birthday. I love white cake.

This is a high-ratio cake (more sugar than flour by weight) but it's mixed with the traditional creaming method. You beat softened butter with sugar and vanilla; alternately add the sifted dry ingredients (cake flour, baking powder, and salt) and milk; and fold in egg whites that have been beaten with sugar to medium-firm peaks. You divide the batter between two parchment-lined 9-inch pans and bake.

To make the frosting, you mix heavy cream with mascarpone cheese; add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract; beat to firm peaks; and mix in strawberry puree. The strawberry puree is made from two pounds of strawberries that have been rinsed, hulled, pureed, and reduced. I started with four cups of puree and cooked it down to a cup and a half as specified -- it took way longer than the 18-22 minutes stated in the recipe. The puree isn't strained, so there were little bits of strawberry seeds visible in the frosting. I liked the pale pink shade of the frosting and didn't add any artificial coloring.
To assemble the cake, I leveled each cake layer and split it in half, and filled and frosted the resulting four layers. There is a full-page photo of this cake in The Everyday Baker (and a smaller version of the same photo on the cookbook cover), and in that photo it looks like there is only a thin layer of frosting covering the cake. I never like to run out of frosting so I was purposefully a bit skimpy with the amount of frosting I used between the layers. But I ended up with plenty of frosting remaining for the top and sides. I was planning to pipe a border just around the top perimeter of the cake but I had so much frosting that I decided to pipe stars over the entire top surface. And there was still frosting left after that.

Since the entire top of the cake was covered with piped stars, I kept the remaining decoration pretty minimal. The recipe calls for white chocolate curls, but I didn't have any block white chocolate. I did have rolled fondant leftover from making McKenna's communion cake, so I used it to make a few flowers for the top and a Happy Birthday message that I placed on the side. 
This cake was lovely. While I didn't think the cake itself was as good as Rose Levy Bernabaum's white butter cake (Beranbaum's has an unparalleled fine texture), the frosting was superb. It had a weightless texture, a clear strawberry flavor, and just the right amount of sweetness balanced with a slight tang from the mascarpone. I was delighted with this beauty.

Recipe: "Snow White Layer Cake with Strawberry Mascarpone Frosting" from The Everyday Baker by Abigail Dodge.

Comments

Louise said…
Right now, I wish I could use a fork to taste this beauty. It looks like it has just the right amount of frosting between the layers. I hope your office enjoyed it.
Thanks, Louise! I went with a cup of frosting between each layer (instead of the 1.25 cups specified in the recipe) and I'm glad it ended up working out nicely in relation to the thickness of the cake layers.
Sally said…
It is GORGEOUS! I'm pretty sure that I made this for my 5 yo's birthday, but it looked nothing like yours...
Sally said…
YES - confirmed via my IG account that I made it. I attempted the white curls, which didn't really work. LOVED it. Are you on IG?
Sadly, I'm not on Instagram... It's one of those things I have never gotten around to doing (like Twitter as well). Sigh, I'm back in the social media dark ages!...