Baked Sunday Mornings: Easy Homemade Granola

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is one I've made before -- Peanut Butter Butterscotch Cookies. Those cookies are delicious (I blogged about them here) but I decided to try another Baked recipe this week, the "Easy Homemade Granola" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking.

I've never made my own granola before, and this is one of the easiest and quickest recipes from the Baked cookbooks. You combine rolled oats with cinnamon and salt in one bowl; whisk together canola oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla in another; and then mix all of the wet ingredients into the oats until they are all coated. You spread out the oats on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for 25 minutes, stirring and adding almonds and hazelnuts along the way. After the granola is cool, you add golden raisins and dried cherries.
Tom and I had granola parfaits this morning with Greek yogurt and fresh apricots (I'm so happy that apricot season is here!). This granola was crunchy and quite tasty and obviously could be adapted to include whatever mix-ins you like. I did think it was a tad on the sweet side, veering almost into the dessert category. Even though I really enjoyed this granola, I don't think I'm going to start making my own -- I'm not as judgmental about cereal as I am with baked goods. I happen to like store-bought granola just fine.

Recipe: "Easy Homemade Granola" from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Sally said…
You should try the Big cluster maple granola from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook. I've made a LOT of granola - I find it better and less expensive than store-bought - and this is by far the best. I omit the dried fruit because I prefer with with fresh.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/smitten-kitchens-big-cluster-maple-granola.html
DB said…
I was never a big granola person until one of my friends gave me the following recipe...it makes quite a bit more than the Baked recipe, so might be worth your time making...people LOVE this recipe...really :)
http://3jamigos.com/2015/04/03/time-to-reboot-my-blog-2-0/
Thanks for the tip -- that does look *really* good!
These enthusiastic granola reviews are making me want to make more granola... But you nail the one problem with it, which is that it's so high in calories and yet so easy to eat by the handful! But that granola looks amazing and I'm really tempted to give it a try!