Cold Cake with Full Flavor: Chilled Chocolate Glazed Cake

Even though I had used up some of the Hershey's Simple 5 Chocolate Syrup my husband brought home from work by baking a Chocolate Syrup Swirl Cake, I needed to do something with the remainder of the bottle that had been sitting in our fridge since. So I went back to the Hershey's website to look for recipes and was intrigued by the Chilled Chocolate Glazed Cake. The photo shows what looks like white cake with chocolate blotches inside. When I read through the recipe I learned that the chocolate inside the cake was a mixture of chocolate syrup and gelatin. It seemed positively bizarre and I had to try it.

This is a high-ratio cake (with more sugar than flour by weight) and the recipe uses a high-ratio mixing method. You place all of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) into a mixing bowl; add shortening, softened butter, vanilla, and buttermilk; and mix in egg whites. You pour the batter into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and bake.

While the cake is cooling, you prepare a chocolate glaze by dissolving softened gelatin in boiling water and adding chocolate syrup. While the cake is still warm from the oven, you poke holes in the top with a fork and pour over the glaze, which gets absorbed into the cake. Then you chill the cake for a few hours before adding the whipped cream topping.
The cake is supposed to be covered in a layer of heavy cream that's been whipped with chocolate syrup and powdered sugar. Unfortunately I had used up all of the chocolate syrup we had for the chocolate syrup glaze, so I decided to use a recipe for dark chocolate whipped cream from Alice Medrich instead. I heated heavy cream to boiling; poured it over 60.3% chocolate chips; whisked the mixture until smooth; and chilled it for a few hours. Then I whipped it by hand with a whisk until it held its shape. The whipped cream made a beautifully smooth frosting.

I kept this cake chilled and served it without letting it come to room temperature first. I was surprised how amazing it tasted cold; most cakes have a drier texture and muted flavor when they're chilled. But this cold cake was tender and delicious. I was wondering if the chocolate syrup glaze would turn into chocolate Jell-O, but instead it created pockets of deeply chocolatey, supermoist cake. In the photo above, you can see how the chocolate got dispersed unevenly because it filled the holes I had poked with a fork. The slice above happens to show relatively shallow penetration of the glaze, but there were other spots in the cake where the syrup had penetrated to a greater degree. I was skeptical about the chocolate syrup-gelatin mix, but after tasting the final product, I'm a believer. And the light chocolate whipped cream was the perfect topping -- it was light and barely sweet.

This was a fantastic cake. I took it over to Jim and Colleen's for the Superbowl and even all of their kids cleaned their plates. This cake was light and lovely and a real delight.

Recipe: "Chilled Chocolate Glazed Cake Recipe" from hersheys.com and "Dark Chocolate Whipped Cream" by Alice Medrich, available at food52.com.

Previous Post: "A Squeeze Makes the Swirl: Chocolate Syrup Swirl Cake," November 18, 2016.

Comments