Winter Fruits Make Scones and Spirits Bright: Meyer Lemon Cranberry Scones

I often make impulse purchases at the grocery store. This sometimes leads to the problem of my having random ingredients on hand and needing to find some way to use them up before they go bad. So I was happy to find a recipe for Meyer Lemon Cranberry Scones when I happened to have some Meyer lemons and fresh cranberries that I had bought for no particular reason.

This recipe starts out in the food processor; the first step is to pulse together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cubed cold butter, and Meyer lemon zest. Then you dump the mixture into another bowl, stir in chopped fresh cranberries that have been tossed with sugar, and mix in the liquid ingredients (egg, egg yolk, and cream).

You're supposed to pat the dough in a round and use a cutter to form the scones. The dough was soft and very sticky and I had a really hard time working with it, although I did manage to get 17 scones using a two-inch cutter. I normally freeze scones before baking to help preserve their shape, but I was in a rush and I just brushed the scone with cream, sprinkled on coarse sugar, and put them in the oven to bake right away. The scones spread in the oven and the edges flattened out.
I tasted a scone warm from the oven and I thought the floral notes of the Meyer lemon zest were a bit overpowering. The following day, I tried another scone and I liked it much better -- it was nicely bright and lemon-y with less floral character, punctuated with the sharp flavor of cranberry. The scone itself was light and crumbly. I don't think these scones looked all that great, but they tasted terrific.

Recipe: "Meyer Lemon Cranberry Scones" from epicurious.com.

Previous Posts:

Comments