Pearls Make a Gem of a Cookie: Vanilla Polka Dots

My husband Tom thoughtfully bought me a copy of Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan and once it arrived I couldn't wait to start baking my way through it. I decided to start with a simple recipe for "Vanilla Polka Dots" --  a vanilla butter cookie rolled in Swedish pearl sugar. The base batter for these cookies is Dorie's "Do-Almost-Anything Vanilla Cookie Dough," which can be scooped or rolled, and serves as the foundation for several cookies in the book.

The cookie dough is a mixture of butter creamed with sugar and salt, egg whites, vanilla, and flour. You scoop out the dough (I used a #40 scoop), roll the cookies in Swedish pearl sugar, flatten them slightly, and bake. I used the entire batch of the base vanilla cookie dough and got 39 cookies.
The recipe instructs you to bake the cookies until they are golden brown around the edges. I baked mine for 20 minutes, when my cookies had developed a very distinct dark brown circle around the edges. It was only after I was halfway through baking the cookies that I realized that the lowball glass I was using to flatten the cookies had a concave bottom, so the edges of my cookies were much thinner than the centers. I think that's why the golden ring around the edges was so well demarcated, and I really liked the visual effect.

These cookies were crisp, buttery, and delicious. The pearl sugar is definitely what makes them stand out, giving them a marvelous sweet crunch. Although the cookies are quite simple, they are delicate and lovely. They definitely highlight how pearl sugar can make a plain cookie special.

Recipes: "Vanilla Polka Dots" and "Do-Almost-Anything Vanilla Cookie Dough" from Dorie's Cookies by Dorie Greenspan, recipes available here from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Comments

Louise said…
I love cookies and baking cookies. I've been on the fence about getting another cookie book. Do I need this one?
I love cookies and Dorie Greenspan, but I have to say that I need to bake a few more recipes before I can give a recommendation one way or the other on this book... I can say that there are lots and lots of huge photos, and all measurements are also given in weights, which are two things I definitely like. Stay tuned!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I am so excited to hear more about what you bake from this cookbook! Thanks!
DB said…
Saw Dorie at Omnivore Cookbooks in San Francisco! Got the book and am now waiting for my pearl sugar to come from King Arthur so I can try these too! If you post your pic of these cookies on twitter or instagram and put #doriescookies @Cookies4Kids it will automatically generate a 5 dollar donation to Kids Cancer!
Oh, I can't believe that I missed Dorie when she was on tour in DC... Thanks for the tip! I love Dorie, I've met her a few times before and she is just as sweet in person as she comes across in her books!
DB said…
While waiting in line for Dorie to sign my books I talked with her husband, Michael. He is just as nice as she is! Happy Thanksgiving.