Baked Sunday Mornings: Frozen Swiss Chocolate Pie

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe is one that doesn't require you to turn on the oven, but you do have to dirty a pretty big pile of bowls in the course of making it.

The gentlemen bakers offer a recipe for Frozen Swiss Chocolate Pie in honor of Grandparents' Day -- a walnut crust filled with frozen dark chocolate filling made with whipped cream and Swiss meringue (which I assume is the source of the name?). The crust was easy -- just mix together melted butter, granulated sugar, and chopped toasted walnuts, and press the mixture into a pie pan. The recipe is supposed to yield one 9-inch pie, but I halved it and made three 5-inch mini pies instead. I had just the right amount of crust for three small crusts. I refrigerated the crusts while making the filling.

The base of the chocolate filling is a mixture of melted dark chocolate (I used Scharffen Berger 70%), instant espresso powder, cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and cream. You fold in Swiss meringue (egg white and sugar that has been heated in a double boiler and beaten to stiff peaks) and whipped cream. You're supposed to add some whiskey into the whipped cream, but I skipped it. My chocolate base mixture was very stiff and I had a hard time folding in the meringue and whipped cream without losing a lot of volume. I ended up with a lot of filling (relative to the size of my mini pies), so I put it in a piping bag with a star tip and piped a heaping mound into each crust. Then I sprinkled on some more chopped walnuts and put the pies in the freezer.
The pies froze hard as a rock; I wonder if adding the alcohol to the whipped cream might have prevented it from freezing solid. I had to leave one in the refrigerator for a few hours before it was soft enough to cut. I have mixed feelings about this pie. The walnut crust was my favorite part -- it was sweet and so delicious. The filling I could take or leave. It was creamy and pleasingly dense, but I thought it was not sweet enough. I used very dark chocolate, but that's what the recipe calls for. However, I think that I would have preferred it with chocolate in the 50%-60% range, and perhaps also without the espresso powder.

I'm also a little confused as to why it makes sense to make a frozen pie if you have to thaw it out to serve it. I make a lot of frozen mousse cakes and semifreddos that can be served directly from the freezer, which makes them very convenient for parties. I did enjoy this decadent dessert. But I'm not sure if I like it enough to make it again.

Recipe: "Frozen Swiss Chocolate Pie" from Baked Occasions by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

GORGEOUS! I absolutely love these-- what a great idea to make mini ones. Your piping is beautiful, and I'm sure it took much less time to thaw than my big pie. No, the alcohol didn't make it any less easier to thaw/cut; it did however give the pie a nice depth without any booziness. I was wondering why it was called a "Swiss" pie, and now I get it. My egg white mixture didn't look like meringue at all (not in that bright white, shiny way), so I guess that's why I didn't make the connection! ;-) I too was wondering why it needed to be frozen if you can't serve and eat it that way.