A Floral Bouquet: Almond Cake with Orange-Flower Water Syrup

I buy almond flour in five-pound bags so I'm always on the lookout for recipes that call for almond meal. Which is why I decided to try a recipe for "Almond Cake with Orange-Flower Water Syrup."

This is a simple cake. You mix together all of the wet ingredients (eggs, yogurt, sugar, oil, and vanilla); combine all of the dry ingredients (flour, almond flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder); and then add the dry ingredients to the wet. You pour the batter into a loaf pan, sprinkle on sliced almonds, and bake.
After baking the cake I cooled it for a few minutes before turning it out of the pan. The recipe says you're supposed to poke holes all over the top of the cake before pouring on a syrup made of sugar dissolved in orange juice and orange blossom water. But there were so many almonds on top of the cake that there was barely any open space to fit a skewer. (Quite a few almonds fell off as I cut the loaf, which is why you can see lots of cake through the nuts on top of the slice in the photo above.) I did the best I could to keep pouring on syrup and most of it got absorbed.

I let the loaf cool completely before serving and the cake was quite wet -- if anything, I think that it was too wet. The almond flavor is more subtle that I was expecting; I think a bit of almond extract would have been a nice enhancement. I enjoyed this cake but I'm not sure that the orange blossom syrup improves it. Besides the fact that the cake was overly damp, the floral character of the syrup was a little distracting. But I am an almond lover, so I tend to like my almond flavors to be pure and clear.

Recipe: "Almond Cake with Orange-Flower Water Syrup" from Food 52.

Comments