Coconut Cloud Nine: Coconut Layer Cake

While brainstorming dessert ideas for our office St. Patrick's Day party, I decided to look at coconut cake recipes -- not because coconut has anything to do with St. Patrick's Day or Irish cuisine, but because you can easily dye coconut green. Plus, I love coconut.

I decided to make a Coconut Layer Cake recipe from epicurious.com, coating the entire thing in green shredded coconut. I absolutely loved it -- especially the actual cake, which was golden, fine-textured, and absolutely delicious. I didn't get any good photos of the cake at the party, but I got the opportunity to make the cake again -- this time without green dye -- a few days later for a family dinner when my parents were in town for my cousin's wedding.

The cake recipe is straightforward. You beat sugar with softened butter and sweetened cream of coconut until fluffy; add egg yolks and vanilla; beat in the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt) and buttermilk; and fold in egg whites that have been beaten with salt until stiff. You divide the batter between two 9-inch pans and bake.
The cakes baked up fairly flat and required little leveling. However, I still trimmed the cooled layers with my Agbay and practically swooned when I tasted the scraps. The texture was divine: dense but plush and springy. The flavor was not very coconutty and tasted more a classic vanilla yellow cake -- but it was so flavorful, especially the toasted top crust and edges. This is a gorgeous cake that you really could use for any purpose.

The frosting is a mixture of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, sweetened cream of coconut, and vanilla. To assemble the cake, you cover one layer with frosting and the sprinkle on sweetened shredded coconut. You stack on the second cake layer, frost the entire cake, and cover it in more sweetened coconut.
This cake is so lovely. The cream cheese frosting is rich and creamy, and with sweetened coconut between the layers and covering the entire cake, you get lots of coconut flavor and texture in every bite. Everyone cleaned their plates. For me, this is the ultimate coconut cake.

Recipe: "Coconut Layer Cake" from epicurious.com.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Sally said…
this looks amazing! A friend requested a coconut cake, and I was going to make the one from sky high, but may make this instead.

Two questions - first, WHERE did you get sweetened cream of coconut? second, would you toast the coconut for the outside of the cake? Thanks!
Hi Sally! I can get sweetened cream of coconut (Coco Lopez brand) in regular grocery stores around here, and it's usually in the aisle with the drink mixers -- I assume because it's commonly used for pina coladas. I think I've also seen it in the ethnic food aisle. If you haven't used it before, make sure that you stir the contents of the can before you use it -- it can congeal and you might find that it's separated into a waxy portion on top and a liquid portion on the bottom (heating gently can help bring it back together). I wouldn't toast the coconut for the outside just because then you would lose the pretty white effect of the finished cake (although admittedly, it could only enhance the flavor!).
Sally said…
Thanks!!! I'll let you know how it turns out after I've made it (for 4/30)
Louise said…
I was waiting for your review of this cake. I've been pretty happy with Ina Garten's coconut cupcake recipe, but several weeks ago used the BAKED Coconut Sheet Cake recipe. I baked it in this pan http://www.sierratradingpost.com/kaiser-la-forme-plus-limited-edition-gateau-pan-10%E2%80%9D~p~9941h/?filterString=s~kaiser-pan%2F&colorFamily=99 The top edge got a little crisp, which seemed to resolve itself after a day with frosting. I really love coconut cakes and I'll be sure to try this one.
Sally said…
this was AMAZING! Loved it. Baked it for 40 minutes, next time 37? I did find the sweetened can of coconut. It was so separated and I just ran it through the food processor. THANK YOU!
Yay, I'm so happy to hear that you made it and liked it! Yum!