A Flatbread to Feed a Crowd: Focaccia with Olives and Rosemary

I've been trying to get some more experience with yeasted breads, so I decided to make Focaccia with Olives and Rosemary part of the menu for a causal outdoor meal with friends. The dough is as pared down as it gets: yeast, water, flour, and salt. I made the dough and kneaded it in my Kitchenaid mixer, so putting it together was pretty easy. I feel that my dough was somehow on steroids; during both the first and second rise, the dough doubled in less time than specified, and after I pressed it into an oiled 10-inch by 15-inch pan and let it rest, the dough became very puffy.

During baking, the dough rose quite a bit and I ended up with a massive amount of focaccia.  The recipe says it serves eight, but I cut the focaccia into 20 decently-sized slices.
The texture of the bread was very good, but I thought it was somewhat bland. The olives and rosemary were definitely necessary to add some saltiness and flavor. And I regretted following the recipe instructions to "sprinkle" on the olives before baking; because I neglected to press the olives into the dough, they were loose and not attached to the final product (you can see in the photo above that the olives are just laying on top of the focaccia).

Still, this is a good recipe and it's so easy that I would make it again -- but only when I'm looking to feed a crowd!

Recipe: "Focaccia with Olives and Rosemary" from epicurious.com.

Previous Post: "Baked Sunday Mornings: Cheesy Focaccia with Carmelized Onions and Sautéed Spinach," February 3, 2013.

Comments