Just Give the Dough a Whirl: Nutty Crunch Cookies

Bon Appétit pushes a steady stream of tempting recipes into my Facebook feed; this actually turns out to be a more prolific source of baking inspiration to me than reading the paper magazine each month. As a result, my folder of electronic bookmarks is full of gems like this recipe for Nutty Crunch Cookies.

You make the dough for these cookies in the food processor by grinding roasted almonds, toasted hazelnuts, brown sugar, and salt; adding the seeds from a vanilla bean; pulsing in flour; and adding chilled butter. The recipe says to roll the dough into balls, but I used a #40 scoop to portion out the dough instead (getting 20 cookies per batch). I flattened the cookies slightly and pressed chopped toasted hazelnuts into the tops before baking.
After seventeen minutes in the oven, I had golden cookies that were pretty and perfectly round. I tried a cookie while it was still warm from the oven and it was unbelievable -- it was so tender and light that it literally melted in my mouth. After the cookies cooled, they lost the ultra-tender texture -- but they were still buttery and flavorful and delicious. And I loved the crunch from the nuts on top.

I am probably a bit biased -- since almond and hazelnut are two of my absolute favorite flavors -- but I thought these cookies were terrific. And because they are so easy to make, you get a lot for very little effort.

Recipe: "Nutty Crunch Cookies" from Bon Appétit, recipe available here.

Comments