A Colorful Variation on Cornflakes: Fruity Pebble Marshmallow Cookies

When I needed to use up an open box of Fruity Pebbles (I keep the cereal on hand solely for baking projects -- such as compost cookies and this cherry crisp), I decided to try Christina Tosi's recipe for "Fruity Pebble Marshmallow Cookies." They are a variation of her "Cornflake-Chocolate Chip-Marshmallow Cookies" that omits chocolate chips and substitutes Fruity Pebble Crunch (Fruity Pebbles, milk powder, sugar, salt, and melted butter that is mixed to form clusters, and then toasted in the oven) for the Cornflake Crunch.
The other ingredients in the cookie are softened butter, sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, the Fruity Pebble Crunch, and mini marshmallows. As is the case with Tosi's other cookie recipes, you scoop out the dough and chill it before baking the cookies.

I've made Tosi's cornflake cookies before and I had an issue with the marshmallows melting and forming hard bits of caramel, especially around the edges. While the caramel tasted wonderful, it caused a bit of a mess. This time I baked the cookies at a slightly lower temperature (350 degrees instead of 375) and I was happier with the results. While I still got some melted and messy marshmallows around the edges, the marshmallows in the middle of the cookies stayed soft and stretchy.

I loved the rainbow-colored flecks from the Fruity Pebbles. The cookie is on the sweet side, but it's not overly sweet. My tasters really enjoyed these cookies and I think that this variation of the recipe tastes as good as the Cornflake original. It's definitely more fun!

Recipe: "Fruity Pebble Marshmallow Cookies" from Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi.

Previous Post: "The Cookies with a Caramel Secret Inside: Cornflake-Chocolate Chip-Marshmallow Cookies" from Momofuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi.

Comments