Who Needs Flour or Butter to Make Cookies?: Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

For my Passover baking project this year, I decided to try a recipe from King Arthur Flour for Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. This recipe is incredibly easy and it's still surprising to me that it works without any flour -- all you do is beat peanut butter with brown sugar, baking soda and salt; add an egg and vanilla; and stir in chocolate chips. I used half creamy peanut butter and half chunky (only because I ran out of creamy) and miniature chocolate chips. I'm glad I used mini chips because the dough was quite oily and the chips didn't adhere well to the batter -- I think that larger chips would have been more difficult to manage.
The recipe says that you should flatten the cookies "just slightly" before baking, but I was dissatisfied with the resulting small amount of spread during baking. I made a point of pressing down the cookies as flat as possible for subsequent batches. I made a quadruple batch of the recipe and ended up with 56 cookies (portioned using a #40 scoop) that finished baking in 12 minutes.

These cookies looked and smelled wonderful -- and they tasted fantastic, too. They were dense, as is typical of peanut butter cookies, but they were also very moist and packed with peanut butter flavor. I'm glad I happened to use half chunky peanut butter, because I liked the bits of peanut in the cookies as well. Basically, these cookies are blissful little packages of peanut butter and chocolate -- they are super satisfying and you would never know that they're naturally gluten free.

Recipe: "Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies" from King Arthur Flour.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Odd that King Arthur would publish a cookie recipe without flour, since they sell flour. But, these look delicious, and really easy-I need to give these a try.
Anonymous said…
I followed your modifications/clarifications on this recipe for a baby shower and they were a huge hit! Thanks.
Anonymous said…
(from Liz S.)