A New Chapter Begins: Nutella Chip Cookies

The Baked Sunday Mornings group has finished up Baked Elements and is moving onto Baked Occasions. I already have a bit of a head start on Baked Occasions since I helped test some of the recipes, but the vast majority of the cookbook is new to me -- and I couldn't wait to get started! For my first new recipe from the book, I decided to try the Nutella Chip Cookies.

They are simple drop cookies, but you do need to plan in advance to have suffiient time to chill the dough. You make the batter by beating cold butter until creamy; adding dark brown sugar and Nutella, followed by eggs and vanilla; incorporating the dry ingredients (flour, salt, and baking soda), and folding in chocolate chips and toasted chopped hazelnuts. The recipe says to chill the dough for at least four hours and up to two days; I chilled mine for 24 hours.

The chilled dough was easy to scoop. The recipe says it yields 48 cookies, and I used a #40 scoop and got 38. The cookies developed nice cracks while baking and I thought that the finished cookies were quite pretty.
The recipe notes that the cookies are perfectly crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside while still warm. This is absolutely right; these cookies were phenomenal when warm. The Nutella flavor was delicious, although not as strong as I had been expecting; my favorite feature of the cookie was the crunchy hazelnuts.

As the cookies sat around (in a Ziploc bag) for a few days, they lost their crunchy exteriors and became more chewy and flexible. By day three, I could bend a cookie without breaking it. While the cookies were best eaten warm, they were still great at room temperature and even days later. This is a great chocolate chip cookie, and a delightfully satisfying way to kick off Baked Occasions!

Recipe: "Nutella Chip Cookies" from Baked Occasions, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito.

Previous Posts:

Comments

Kiki said…
I see you posted another nutella cookie recipe back in 2010. What are the major differences? Which one do you like better?
Anonymous said…
They are lovely! Mine were quite soft too-- I wonder if a couple of extra minutes in the oven would change it? I accidentally forgot about one batch in the oven, so they did get a little more baking time, but I'm not sure if I happened to sample that batch... Anyway, these are terrific. :)