This Cake Is the Bee's Knees: Honey Cake

To go along with a Crusty Apple Pie, I decided to also make a honey cake to bring to the office for Rosh Hashanah. The subject of honey cake has sort of become a running joke in our household -- or rather, the fact that I made one a few years ago with The Macallan 25 whiskey. I decided to avoid the liquor cabinet and try a different recipe this year.

I found an easy Honey Cake recipe from King Arthur Flour. You prepare a cake pan by greasing it and then sprinkling a generous layer of sliced almonds over the bottom of the pan. Then you make the cake batter by mixing together room temperature butter, honey, and eggs; stirring in the dry ingredients (all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, and salt); and then incorporating sour cream and some sliced almonds. You pour the batter over the almonds in the pan and bake.
You turn the cake out of the pan while it still warm, but leave it inverted with the bottom side up, so the layer of almonds ends up on top. I dusted it with powdered sugar before slicing and serving. I loved this cake. It was perfectly moist and had a lovely, mildly sweet, honey flavor. The layer of almonds on top provided the perfect bit of crunch. I used King Arthur white whole wheat flour, and aside from the tan color, you couldn't tell that the cake included whole wheat flour -- it had a soft, tender crumb.

Several people told me that it was the best honey cake they had ever had. (Although that might be faint praise, because I get the impression that people suffer through a lot of dry honey cakes during Rosh Hashanah.) I like this cake better than the one I made a few years ago with The Macallan 25, and I absolutely plan to make it again. It's simple, delicious, and a fantastic way to showcase the flavor of honey.

Recipe: "Honey Cake" from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Posts:

Comments

I am such a fan of King Arthur Flour recipes. I have 2 of their cookbooks and love them. I will add this to my list of must trys.