Not Quite Enthused: Coconut Chews

On a recent evening when I wanted to make some cookies but didn't have a lot of time, I decided to try Alisa Huntman's recipe for Coconut Chews from Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe. The cookies include only seven ingredients (softened butter, sugar, vanilla, eggs, flour, baking soda, and sweetened coconut), and you can mix the dough, scoop, and bake immediately.
The recipe says that it yields 42 cookies; I used a relatively small scoop (a #40) and got 36. The first pan of cookies I baked didn't spread much, so I flattened subsequent cookies before putting them in the oven to get a better shape. Little pieces of coconut that were sticking out of the cookies got tinged a dark brown during baking, which I thought was a plus -- it made it easy to identify the coconut inside.

This was a good cookie. It was chewy and chock full of coconut; it was like a coconut macaroon with flour added. But something was somewhat off, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I'm not sure if the sweetness level wasn't right, or if the cookie was a little too floury, or something else... But the cookie left me unsatisfied.

Recipe: "Coconut Chews" from Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe, by Alisa Huntsman; recipe available here at lovelesscafe.com.

Comments

Louise said…
Have you tried Alice Medrich's Coconut Sticks? They're crisp, not chewy, but coconut lovers all seem to enjoy them and they are really easy. http://www.lottieanddoof.com/2011/01/coconut-sticks/
Oh, I haven't -- but I'm adding them to the list! Those look delicious!