Whole Grain Goodness: Ginger Pecan Oatmeal Crisps

I keep whole grain flour on hand, but I don't use it very often -- which can be a problem, because it can go rancid quickly, even if it's stored in the freezer. So when I recently needed to use up some whole grain flour, I was glad to find a recipe from Food Network that looked quite tasty: Ginger Pecan Oatmeal Crisps.

These are slice and bake cookies. To make the dough, you cream butter with sugar and brown sugar; add vanilla and an egg; and add in the dry ingredients (ground oats, ground pecans, whole wheat flour, cornstarch, ground ginger, salt, and baking soda). The recipe says to press the dough into a loaf pan, but I simply molded it into a rectangle before chilling it. I had some other baking projects going on at the same time, so I left the dough in the fridge for a whole day before baking.
I had shaped my dough very carefully into a perfect rectangular block with sharp, 90-degree corners. So my cookie slices were also perfect rectangles, but sadly, the cookies spread quite a bit in the oven and they ended up with rounded corners. (My mother was in town visiting when I made these cookies, and I'm not saying that Asian mothers expect perfection or anything, but she did hone in on the rounded corners and ask why I couldn't make my cookies into nice rectangles.)

The cookies didn't look like much -- they could have been mistaken for teething biscuits. But I loved them. They were light, crispy, and buttery, with a texture like a Biscoff. I couldn't taste the pecans, but the cookies had a heartiness to them from the oats, and they were lightly sweet with just a touch of ginger. The crisps would be perfect alongside a cup of coffee or tea, but they are wonderful all on their own.

Recipe: "Ginger Pecan Oatmeal Crisps" from Food Network.

Comments