Baked Sunday Mornings: Classic Crème Brûlée with Caramelized Brown Sugar

This week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe requires just a few ingredients and not much effort, although it does have to be made in advance: it's Classic Crème Brûlée with Caramelized Brown Sugar. To make the custard, you steep a vanilla bean pod with its scraped seeds in hot cream, and then stir the cream into a mixture of egg yolks, sugar, and salt. After putting the mixture through a sieve, you pour the custard into ramekins and bake them in a bain-marie. After the cooked custards are cooled and thoroughly chilled, it's time to get out your blowtorch.

I followed the instructions to sprinkle dak brown sugar on top of the custard, and I tried to carmelize the sugar with a blowtorch. Actually, I tried a few times. But each time, the sugar promptly caught on fire and burnt to a crisp. I know that the top of a crème brûlée is supposed to be dark, but because the brown sugar was in clumps, I was ending up with black charcoal pellets on my custard. At least I was able to pick off the burnt nuggets without disturbing the custard, and after I sprinkled some coarse white sugar over the thin layer of brown sugar that was still stuck to the custard, I got the lovely brown top you see in the photo above.

When I tried carmelizing the top of a custard using white coarse sugar only, the color was a little more spotty, as you can see in the photo above. Either way, the tops were nice and crisp, yielding a satisfying thwack when hit with a spoon.

I loved the custard. It tasted like the world's best vanilla pudding -- creamy, thick, and fragrant with vanilla. Even though all of the vanilla seeds were collected at the bottom of each ramekin, the heady vanilla flavor was in every bite. And I say that the custard tasted like pudding because it was a little soft. It probably could have used another five minutes in the oven, but I enjoyed it immensely, just the way it was. (The custard in the top photo was particularly soft because it had survived multiple rounds with a blowtorch as I kept removing burnt brown sugar and adding more.)

The caramelized top added both textural interest and another rich flavor component, but I honestly think the custard was just as wonderful without it. Then again, I'm not one of those people who goes gaga for crème brûlée, but I do happen to think that pudding is the bee's knees. Either way, this is an easy and delicious dessert.

Recipe: "Classic Crème Brûlée with Caramelized Brown Sugar" from Baked Elements: Our 10 Favorite Ingredients by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

SandraM said…
The flavour of the custard was lovely with the vanilla beans. And mine too sunk to the bottom of the ramekins!
It is definitely a simple recipe, but that caramelizing the sugar always burns me. (or should I say burns the sugar!)
Bourbonnatrix said…
The texture of your custard looks absolutely perfect to me! I'm a big fan of pudding :)
Unknown said…
Your creme looks perfect and sounds so creamy!!
I love creme brulee, and this recipe is one of the best I had ever made!!!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful job and great photos! :) I had the same issue with the vanilla seeds at the bottom-- gotta scrape up every last bit! I too had burning problems with the brown sugar, despite spreading it out evenly, but it was still lovely. I agree that this is some of the nicest custard I've had.
Unknown said…
seems like a lot of us had issues with the brulee portion of this week's recipe! still tasted great though!