Two Great Tastes That Taste Great Together: Apricot-Orange Shortbread Bars

I don't remember how exactly I happened to come across the recipe for Apricot-Orange Shortbread Bars on epicurious, but once I saw it, I knew that I wanted to give it a try. I love almonds, and I've rarely come across a jammy bar that I didn't like.
Plus, these bars are so easy. The crust is a mixture of softened butter, sugar, almond extract, flour, and salt. You're supposed to press the mixture into the bottom of a parchment-lined pan, but my crust was so soft that I was able to spread it over the bottom of the pan using an offset spatula. You put a mixture of apricot preserves and Grand Marnier on top of the raw crust, followed by a topping made from some reserved crust mixture mixed with almond paste and sliced almonds. You are supposed to crumble the topping over the preserves, but mine was too soft for crumbling; I did my best to drop blobs of it instead. After another sprinkle of almonds, the bars are ready to bake.
The bars browned nicely in the oven and I thought that they looked terrific after they were sliced. The only problem was that the crust was undercooked. It was baked sufficiently enough that I didn't hesitate to serve the bars to others, but I think that the crust would have been greatly improved if it had been par baked briefly before adding the preserves and topping (then again, maybe I just screwed up the crust, because I don't think the dough was supposed to be so soft).
Nonetheless, these bars were absolutely delicious, and my tasters loved them. I found it impossible to detect any orange flavor from the Grand Marnier, but the combination of apricots and almonds is one of my favorites. And even though the crust was undercooked, it had a great buttery flavor. The crunch from the nuts was wonderful. These bars offer so much flavor and texture for so little effort and just a handful of ingredients -- they are simply fantastic.

Recipe: "Apricot-Orange Shortbread Bars" from epicurious.com

Previous Posts:

Comments

Louise said…
I think I've been making this since Christmas 2005 when the recipe appeared in Bon Appetit. It's one of the cookies I always include in my annual Christmas Cookie boxes as it tastes great and has a good shelf life. I double the recipe and use a 10 x 15 jellyroll pan to get the proportions. For the double batch, just before the dough comes together, I take out slightly over 1 cup (less than the recipe calls for) for the topping, cut in the almond paste and then the sliced almonds. I'm not sure why your dough was so soft, but my double batch has a bit more flour since I "short" the topping a bit and the shortbread behaves nicely when I press it into the pan. I also always bake cookies on the center shelf and the shortbread has always been nicely done, In case you are wondering, I just pulled out my cookie notes. : )
I think my butter might have been too soft... I'm glad to hear you love this bar as well, thanks for the tips! :)
DB said…
I just made these for a Super Bowl party and put them in my blog. While reading your post about the pineapple jam bars the thought struck me, LBB would like these bars. Wisely I searched your site and not surprising, you had already blogged about these yummy treats! I did tweak it by freezing the dough for the crumble for a couple of minutes and then pulse processing it with the almond paste, worked out well! Looking forward to your Pineapple Cakes, my brother brought some back from Taiwan-delicious!
Your bars look beautiful, DB! I'm a sucker for any sort of bar with jam with streusel, especially if it involves almonds! And sigh, we were rooting for the Falcons too... :)