The Better Nutter Butter: The Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie

I had never heard of Rosie Daykin or her bakery Butter in Vancouver, until her cookbook Butter Baked Goods was released last October. But I did hear a lot of positive buzz about the cookbook, and my friend Dorothy was kind enough to get me a copy for my birthday. The first recipe I decided to try was "The Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie."

The sandwiches are made from drop cookies that are easy to make. You cream together butter and smooth peanut butter, add granulated and dark brown sugar, incorporate an egg and vanilla, and then mix in the sifted dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt). You can use the dough immediately; you scoop it out (I used a #30 scoop and got 32 cookies to make 16 sandwiches), flatten down the cookies with your fingers, and bake.
The cookies were nicely round and they were all the same size -- which is exactly the way I like cookies that will be sandwiched together. It really annoys me when I have to hunt and pick through a batch of cookies to find pairs of mirror images that will match up nicely.

It only take a couple of minutes to make the filling; it's a mix of peanut butter, butter, powdered sugar, and heavy cream. The filling was quite loose, and I was afraid that it would squish out between the cookies -- so I purposely used less filling per cookie than I normally would, and I ended up with a lot of filling left over.

This sandwich cookie is fantastic. The cookie itself is very dry and crisp, with wonderful peanut butter flavor. The filling is a smooth and seamless complement; however, the pressure of biting into the cookie did cause it to seep out. As a result of the dry cookie and unwieldy filling, the cookie was a bit of a mess to eat. But no one cared, because it was delicious. This cookie was like a more substantial and more flavorful Nutter Butter.

I would make two minor adjustments if I make these cookies again. First, I would add less cream to the filling so that it would be a little thicker and perhaps be better behaved. Second, I flatten the cookies more before baking to get them thinner. Regardless of the amount of filling, I think that the cookies were too fat for sandwiches, especially given their dry texture. But these are wonderful peanut butter cookies and I look forward to making and enjoying them again.

Recipe: "The Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie" from Butter Baked Goods by Rosie Daykin, recipe available here.

Previous Post: "A Perfect Fit: Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Milk Chocolate Filling," May 18, 2010.

Comments