Slice, Bake, Taste... Great!: Peanut and Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies

Lately I've been on a bit of a slice-and-bake cookie kick, so I decided to try another slice-and-bake recipe from the Los Angeles Times Holiday Edition California Cookbook: Peanut and Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies.

The dough requires an overnight chill, but is quick to put together: beat butter until creamy; add crunchy peanut butter; beat in sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy; add an egg and vanilla; mix in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt); and stir in chopped peanuts and chocolate (I used miniature chocolate chips). I formed the dough into a rectangular log and chilled it overnight.
The next day, I cut the log into thin slices and baked the cookies. While I had formed the log into a well-defined rectangular shape with sharp corners, the cookies spread in the oven and ended up with rounded corners and wavy sides. In retrospect, I wish that I had just made a round log, because I think round cookies would have looked a little neater.

These cookies are very light -- dry and crunchy, in the best possible way. The flavor is deliciously peanut-y, especially with the chunks of chopped nuts. The chocolate is definitely a secondary flavor, but the peanut-chocolate combination is perfect. I love these cookies -- they might be small, but they are immensely satisfying and completely addictive!

Recipe: "Peanut Butter and Bittersweet Chocolate Cookies" from the Los Angeles Times Holiday Edition California Cookbook.

Previous Posts:

Comments