Smoothing Over a Rough Patch: Rocky Road Crunch Bars

Among the other great ideas from coworkers for furlough-appropriate baked goods was a suggestion for "rocky road." After a quick search, I found a quick and easy recipe that I could squeeze in on the same evening I was making a Battenberg cake -- Nigella Lawson's Rocky Road Crunch Bars.

Aside from a few hours of chilling time, you can make this recipe in about 10 minutes. You simply melt chocolate, butter, and golden syrup; stir in crushed cookies and marshmallows; pour the mixture into a pan; spread on some reserved melted chocolate mixture; and chill. I used honey Teddy Grahams for my cookies, and for the chocolate I used a mixture of 72% and 45% chocolate (I had a 200g bar of 72% Russian chocolate that my husband Tom got from a client; I made up the remainder with Hershey's Special Dark).

I thought the chilled bars might be so hard that they would be difficult to cut -- but in fact they cut easily and beautifully. I guess that was the magic of adding butter and golden syrup! I skipped the dusting of powdered sugar. These bars are pretty darn tasty. After all, they're chocolate with crunchy cookies and chewy marshmallow; what's not to love? Because I had used mostly 72% chocolate, the bars were quite bittersweet, but I liked the fact that the chocolate was a little on the bitter side.

This is a very simple candy-like confection with just a handful of ingredients, but it is surprisingly satisfying. The road might be rocky, but it is decadent and delicious!

Recipe: "Rocky Road Crunch Bars" by Nigella Lawson.

Comments