Cup4Cup, Head 2 Head: Julienne's Double-Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies

Since we found out about my husband Tom's sensitivity to gluten, I have been experimenting with alternative flours. I have made some gluten-free recipes written for particular types of specialty flours, but I had yet to try using an all-purpose gluten-free flour blend in a recipe written for regular wheat flour. One reason is simply cost, because all-purpose gluten-free flours are quite expensive. But when I was able to get some Cup4Cup gluten-free flour (developed in the kitchen of Thomas Keller's French Laundry) on sale, I decided to see if it would work in a regular recipe.

I have to admit that while I have sky high expectations for anything associated with chef Thomas Keller, I was still nervous about using the precious Cup4Cup flour (retail price: $20 for a three-pound bag!) on an experiment that might turn out badly. Specifically, I was a bit concerned after reading a recent Los Angeles Times test of several gluten-free flours, where the results with Cup4Cup looked terrible. So I decided to try a low-risk recipe, one without a lot of flour. I had the perfect recipe in my to-bake recipe pile: the Double-Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookie from Julienne.

This recipe immediately caught my eye when it appeared in the L.A. Times' Culinary SOS column more than year ago, but I had delayed making it because I feared it might bring on another case of ACO (assault with a chocolate object). But the recipe requires only three ounces of flour and it was therefore ideal for my first test of Cup4Cup -- and to make it a real test, I made two batches of cookies to compare head to head, one with Cup4Cup, and the other with White Lily all-purpose flour.

You can make the batter in a few minutes: beat eggs, sugar, espresso powder, and vanilla; add in melted chocolate and butter; add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt); and fold in chocolate chips and walnuts. You an scoop out the dough immediately and bake. For the wheat cookies, I used a #30 scoop and got 43 cookies; for the gluten-free version, I used a #24 scoop and got 39 cookies. These yields are not equivalent -- apparently there was a greater volume of dough with the Cup4Cup batch.

The two version of the cookies came out looking the same -- except for the size difference, which was intentional. I wanted to make sure I could tell the two batches apart so that I would be able to keep the gluten-free cookies separate, and just for good measure, I also garnished the gluten-free version with a piece of walnut on top so there would be no mistaking one type for the other.

If I had eaten the regular and gluten-free cookies at two different points in time, I doubt that I would have been able to tell the difference between them, because they were almost identical. The cookies were soft and deeply chocolate-y (without going overboard -- no ACO here!), enhanced with the flavor of espresso and the interesting texture of the walnuts. Tasting the two version of the cookies head to head, I could detect a minor difference in texture -- the gluten-free version was a bit more tender, and it was actually my favorite. Several other people who tasted both versions also voiced a preference for the gluten-free variety.

While I'm still uncertain how Cup4Cup will perform in other baking applications, it definitely passed this first test with flying colors!

Recipe: "Julienne's Double-Chocolate Espresso Walnut Cookies," from the March 17, 2012 Los Angeles Times.

Comments

Ellen said…
Hi there,

I'm excited to let you know that we will be using one of the great Mallow Cups photos
from your blog in an iVillage slideshow about classic Halloween candies and
treats and will link back to your website. If you do NOT want us to use
this photo, please get back to me as soon as possible.

If you have a high-res version of the image that you could provide, could
you email it to me at ellen.niz@gmail.com?

Thank you so much for your time!

Sincerely,

Ellen Niz
iVillage Contributor
ellen.niz@gmail.com