Pure Almond Joy: Almond Cake with Kirsch

Even though I was very satisfied with the flourless almond cake I recently made during Passover, I was intrigued by one of the lukewarm recipe reviews that indicated a preference for a different recipe on epicurious.com, "Almond Cake with Kirsch." I can never get enough almond cake, so I decided to try this recipe as well.

The list of ingredients and the recipe directions are both short. Beat butter and sugar until creamy, then add almond paste, eggs, kirsch, almond extract, salt, flour, and baking powder. Pour into a pan and bake. I did have some difficulty incorporating the hard bits of almond paste (even though I used my 1.3 horsepower Kitchenaid stand mixer); in the future, I would grate the almond paste instead of just breaking it up into chunks.

When I checked the cake after 35 minutes of baking, the top was so dark that I thought it might be burned and I immediately pulled it out of the oven -- even though the cake seemed a bit soft when I pressed it in the center and I wasn't sure if it was cooked through. Thankfully, it was, and the interior was very dense, damp, and even slightly malleable. Eating this cake evoked the sensation of eating marzipan with regard to both flavor and texture. In other words, it was freakin' delicious.

I have to say that I did like this cake slightly better than the flourless almond cake I recently made. Although I appreciated the bright flavor from the orange and lemon rind in the flourless cake, I adore almonds and this cake delivers amazing pure almond flavor. The ultra-moist texture is also unusual and wonderfully decadent. I would happily eat either cake, but this one is really truly special.

Recipe: "Almond Cake with Kirsch" from epicurious.com.

Previous Post: "Passover Cake that Passes: Almond Cake," April 11, 2013.

Comments

Louise said…
This looks great. Almond paste always comes out of the tube hard as a board.