Baked Sunday Mornings: Malted Milk Chocolate Pots de Crème

I love a happy surprise, and that's exactly what I got from this week's Baked Sunday Mornings recipe, Malted Milk Chocolate Pots de Crème. The recipe produces amazing results for minimal effort. It only takes 5 minutes to make the custard: you heat heavy cream and malted milk powder to boiling, pour them over chopped milk chocolate, and whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, you whisk together egg yolks, fleur se del, and sugar, and keep whisking while you slowly incorporate the hot cream-chocolate mixture. You pour the mixture through a sieve, divide in into ramekins, and bake them in a bain-marie until set (mine took 40 minutes to set, even though the recipe says it should take 20-30 minutes). You chill the custards, top them with malt balls, and serve.

My cooked custards were covered with a thin and unattractive film of air bubbles that formed during baking; I was glad that the crushed malt balls hid most of it. The texture of the custard is unbelievably good. It's luscious and silky smooth, yet incredibly light. I'm generally not a fan of milk chocolate, but I could not get enough of this custard and its incredible flavor of lightly sweet chocolate with the nuttiness of the malt and a milky finish.

The crushed malt balls provided a wonderful crunchy contrast to the velvety custard, and I think the more malt balls, the better. Normally I find custards to be very filling, but these pots de crème are not heavy at all and I could easily eat more than one. You do have to like malt to appreciate these, but if you like malt, you will love these custards.

Recipe: "Malted Milk Chocolate Pots de Crème" from Baked Elements: Our 10 Favorite Ingredients, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

Kris' Kitchen said…
I agree...I got the happy surprise too. These were easy and the results are huge. Nice post!
Unknown said…
Mine came out great also! Love your picture with the spoonful of custard!
Candy said…
A happy surprise is the perfect way to describe these!
Yours look fabulous. I too had the air bubble film on top. I should have done mine for 40 minutes. The 30 minutes still left them a bit runny and I would have liked a better set. Also, I think dark chocolate would be spectacular in this.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
(had a spelling error in my first comment)... I left mine in for 40 minutes as well... after 20 minutes they had not set at all! I agree with you about the texture contrast. I wonder if some toasted almonds or something like that would be good, too. Or a cereal of some sort... ? ;)
Chelly said…
I had that unattractive film also on top of mine....but it sure did taste wonderful!
Bourbonnatrix said…
I really love it when bloggers post pictures of the inside of food, (because texture is huge for me)but I never take the time to do it :( Your pots de crème look delicious! Mine too took about 40 (if not 50) minutes to bake... I though I had over baked them, but they came out super silky.
Anonymous said…
I had a similar film/bubble problem on some of mine. Made photographing it a bit difficult, but the texture was fine. I too loved that this was an easy recipe. Also love the crushed up malt balls on top of yours.
mike509 said…
I too had the film, but nothing but liquid underneath - oh well, the taste is incredible. These look wonderful - especially the "taste test" photo!
Rebecca said…
You can really see the smooth texture from your photos. Delicious! Even though mine didn't really set, I agree that they seemed pretty light and delicious.
Agreed..Ugly but delish! I will make this recipe again.
Anonymous said…
Like lots of others, I had that foamy film on top of some of mine, but I didn't think it was terrible. True, using crushed malt balls covers it up nicely. OMG, your photos are to die for, especially the one of the spoonful of custard-- That texture is stunning! :) I tried to photograph a spoon of mine, and the pix just didn't turn out. A happy surprise, indeed-- these were just lovely!
Cakewalk Baking said…
I have a really good trick for getting rid of the air bubbles - use a propane torch pop them. Just quickly run the flame over the surface & they will be nice and smooth.
Sally said…
Did you know that on their FB page, BAKED linked to your blog?