Baked Sunday Mornings: The No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookie

While I like elaborate baking projects as much as (okay, probably more than) the next person, every once in a while it's nice to take on a recipe that requires almost no work whatsoever. That's exactly what was on tap this week for Baked Sunday Mornings: The No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookie. I suppose the fact that these cookies aren't actually baked is the reason the recipe isn't in the "Cookies and Bars" chapter of Baked Explorations, but in the "Confections and Pastry" section instead.

You can literally make these cookies in 5 minutes. Simply heat milk, sugar, cocoa powder, and butter on the stove until they come to a boil, boil for 90 seconds, and then stir in rolled oats, chunky peanut butter, and vanilla. Scoop out the dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, cool, and refrigerate. I used a #40 scoop and got 30 cookies.

I have never made a no-bake cookie like this before, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Trying to describe these cookies leaves me at a bit of a loss: they taste like chocolate with crunchy peanut butter and oats. The texture of the chocolate-peanut butter mixture holding everything together is like fudge, but the oatmeal is plentiful and wonderfully chewy. They are are homely but quite delicious, and I found them absolutely addictive. Who knew that no bake could be all good?

Recipe: "The No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookie" from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito. Recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

Oh they look great! I am with you. I am happy to tackle an elaborate baking project. But I must admit, I was glad to have something quick and easy this weekend! Yours look much more attractive and more like a cookie than mine! : )
Susan said…
I'm glad to hear that you liked these - I was skeptical so I made up the Nutella Scones instead. Enjoy your week.
Chelly said…
Yup, they are ugly little devils but sooooo good!
erinstar41 said…
These reminded me of fudge too! Not pretty but sure are tasty.
Kris' Kitchen said…
Great childhood memories in these cookies. Yours are not homely at all...they are beautiful and look perfect...wish I could reach into my computer screen and take a bite.
Anonymous said…
I cut the recipe buy 25% and it is a good thing because I found these cookies addictive
Fudge is a good description, as they definitely don't seem like a regular cookie. Nice to do something so simple though.
Anonymous said…
I agree-- this was the perfect week for an easy recipe! I had my first big baking "gig" this weekend, and I was lucky NOT to have an elaborate BSM recipe at the same time. I hadn't thought of describing the cookies like fudge, but you're so right! That's a great way to describe the chocolate texture AND like you said, it makes sense to categorize them as a "confection". Great work-- I love your photo too! :)