What's the Buzz on Snack Cakes?: Choco-Buzz

It seems that there is a designated a day to honor every type of food. There are so many of these contrived observances that it's hard to keep track; I had no idea that July 21 was "National Junk Food Day" until an item from King Arthur Flour showed up in my Facebook newsfeed, announcing the fact and providing a link to a chocolate snack cake recipe, the "Choco-Buzz." The picture of the Choco-Buzz looked so delicious that I had to give the recipe a try.

The Choco-Buzz is a chocolate cake filled with chocolate cream and topped with chocolate icing. It's intended to be a recreation of the Hostess Choco-Bliss snack cake. My own snack cake of choice growing up was the Dolly Madison (now Hostess) Zinger, so I don't have any particular nostalgia for the Choco-Bliss. But I appreciate chocolate cake as much as the next person.

The cake is made with melted butter, cocoa, hot water, flour, espresso powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. You bake the cake in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan, and once it has cooled, you unmold it from the pan, cut it in half crosswise (this is just for ease of handling), and then split each half into two layers. You fill the cake with a mixture of butter, shortening, powdered sugar, cocoa, chocolate, salt, heavy cream, and vanilla, and then top it with an icing made from chocolate, corn syrup, vanilla, cream, and powdered sugar.

The recipe instructs you to fill and frost the two cake halves and then slice them into individual snack cakes. I trimmed off the edges of the cakes and got 32 slim slices that were one by three inches. I kept the cakes in the fridge overnight (after all, we are in the middle of a hot, humid summer here in the Northeast), and the next morning I discovered that I could tidy them considerably by trimming them again. In the future (and I will definitely make these again), I would fill and ice the cakes, refrigerate them overnight, and then slice them. Chilling the cakes first firms up all of the components and allows much cleaner cuts.

Choco-Buzz is the Choco-Bomb. These are some darn tasty snack cakes, and they are delicious at room temperature or straight out of the fridge. The cake is chocolate-y and moist, the filling is creamy and decadent, and the icing is thick and fudgy. At first, I thought the icing was too dense, but then I realized that it had a texture virtually identical to the icing on a Zinger. I think it's a big contributor to the overall snack cake sensation. And boy, are these sensational!

Recipe: "Choco-Buzz" from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Posts:

Comments