Got Crackers?: Crisp Rosemary Flatbread

Tom and I recently saw a movie at Cleveland Park's historic Uptown Theater and headed across the street to Ripple for a late dinner afterwards. The meal was delicious as always, but for some reason, I was particularly fixated on the crackers that Ripple provides to all of its guests. I don't know what it is about crackers; while I usually have no problem skipping the bread basket in a restaurant, I find it hard to pass up crackers (Proof is another restaurant where a cracker binge is inevitable). Anyway, it got me thinking about whether or not I could bake something similar at home.

After a bit of internet searching, I decide to try an epicurious recipe for "Crisp Rosemary Flatbread." The recipe is quite easy -- you just mix together flour, chopped rosemary, baking powder and salt, stir in water and olive oil until a dough forms, and then knead the dough a few times. You divide the dough into thirds, and roll our each portion on a sheet of parchment into a 10-inch round. You brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle on flake salt and more rosemary, and bake.

I happened to have some lovely rosemary olive oil on hand from Secolari in Bethesda (a thoughful hostess gift from a guest at our last holiday party), so I used it in dough and to brush on top before baking. You are supposed to bake the crackers on a baking sheet preheated in the oven. I have a FibraMent baking stone that lives in my oven on the bottom rack, so I just moved it up to the middle rack and baked the crackers on the preheated stone (having the dough on parchment paper made it easy to slide onto and off of the stone). Most of the rosemary that I scattered on top fell off after baking; because I had rolled each piece of dough as thin as possible with my straight pin, I couldn't really press the rosemary into the dough as directed.

I broke up the baked rounds into smaller crackers, and Tom used them as part of a cheese plate he put together for some dinner guests. I really liked these crackers -- they were crispy, and the flavors from the rosemary and salt were delicious. They didn't have the buttery taste of the crackers at Ripple, but then again, these crackers don't have any butter, so that's not terribly surprising! I definitely plan on making these again, and I'm glad I found a quick way to get my cracker fix!

Recipe: "Crisp Rosemary Flatbread," from epicurious.com.

Previous Post: "Putting the 'Crack' into Crackers: Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crisps," March 13, 2012.

Comments