Ipso Fatto Instant Photo: I "Like" These Cupcakes!

Whenever I need to bake cupcakes for a party, my default non-chocolate choice is the Restaurant Eve's Cake recipe from Restaurant Eve in Alexandria, VA.  The cake recipe produces two dozen delicious cupcakes with a superfine crumb and delicate texture; the classic vanilla cake and frosting flavors have broad appeal. I often decorate these cupcakes with purchased sugar decorations (see, e.g., here and here), but I recently decided to branch out and try edible paper decorations for the first time. I had the paper printed at Little Bitts in Wheaton, MD, the same place where I buy my sugar decorations (and many other baking supplies). If you take in a photo or printed image, they will scan, resize, and print it on edible paper while you wait; they can print a maximum of 32 images on a letter-size sheet of edible paper. You just need to cut out the images and apply them on your baked goods. 

The cost of these images was comparable to buying sugar decorations, about 35 cents per image. In an ideal world, I would have better decorating skills and would be molding my own decorations out of fondant; in the real world, I'm happy to use edible paper to take a shortcut to getting professional-looking results.

Recipe: "Restaurant Eve's Cake," printed in the April 23, 2006 Washington Post.

Previous Posts:

Comments