Yes! We Still Have Bananas!: Double-Banana Pound Cake

Continuing my search for recipes to use up my supply of créme de banana (left over after making banana pudding and rum cake), I came across a Cooking Light recipe for "Double-Banana Pound Cake" that calls for both bananas and banana liqueur. How could I not give it a try?

The cake is straightforward, and I made it exactly as written -- except that I didn't dust my pan with breadcrumbs (I used a non-stick pan and sprayed it with Pam with flour, so I wasn't too concerned about sticking), and I used whole milk instead of non-fat milk (we never have skim milk on hand).

The cake looked terrific -- a beautiful golden crust, a tight crumb, and little bits of banana visible. However, I was disappointed with the cake. While it had a nice strong banana flavor (if a bit on the sweet side), the cake was somewhat rubbery. I can't discount the possibility that I might have overcooked it slightly, but this cake definitely did not have what I would consider to be the ideal "pound cake" texture. The cake wasn't bad, but I don't think it's worth making again.

Recipe: "Double-Banana Pound Cake," from Cooking Light, April 2000.

Comments