I Don't Think "Rustic" Is Supposed to Mean "Raw": Rustic Tuscan Apple Cake

A couple of weeks ago, the Wall Street Journal ran an article featuring three recipes from Francine Segan's cookbook Dolci: Italy's Sweets. The "Rustic Tuscan Apple Cake" looked like an easy recipe that would be perfect for fall, so I couldn't wait to give it a try.

The cake batter itself contains no butter or oil. You make it by beating together eggs and sugar, and then adding in flour, milk, baking powder, baking soda, and lemon zest. You pour the batter into a pan, sprinkle on one diced apple, and then arrange three sliced apples on top. The recipe notes that while the ratio of apples to batter appears disproportionately high, the apples magically meld into the batter and in the end will float over moist, sweet cake. You scatter small pats of butter over the apples and sprinkle on one tablespoon of granulated sugar before baking.  

I used four gala apples that came in right at two pounds total, and there were so many apple slices on the cake that I could barely fit them into the pan (I used an 8-inch round pan that was two inches high). I baked the cake for 50 minutes as directed, and it was a little difficult for me to get a toothpick into the cake through all of the layers to apples to test for doneness. I tested several spots about halfway between the edge and the center, and the cake seemed to be done, so I took it out of the oven.

After the cake cooled and I unmolded it from the pan, my heart sank when I cut into it and realized that it was completely uncooked in the middle. The reason that the tip of the slice pictured above has collapsed is because all of the light-colored creamy stuff under the apples is raw batter that is providing no support. I did taste the outer perimeter of the cake, which was cooked through. The cake was dry (not altogether unexpected, given the lack of butter and oil), but I did like the moist, sweet apples and the bright flavor from the lemon zest. However, the outside of the cake was so dry that I question whether it would be have been possible to bake the cake long enough to cook the center through without turning the outside into sawdust. While I'll take the blame for not testing the center of the cake for doneness, I have no interest in trying this recipe again. I love the idea of a rustic apple cake for fall, but I'm not in love with this one.

Recipe: "Rustic Tuscan Apple Cake, aka Torta di mele," from Dolci: Italy's Sweets, by Francine Segan.

Comments

Louise said…
I had this recipe ear marked in my apple recipes. Looks like I should mark it NG (No Good). I keep this stuff in my file, otherwise I'll see it again in about two years and forget that I shouldn't make it.
Anonymous said…
I've seen this recipe from "Dolci: Italy's Sweets" at a different site than you listed and there were two differences: the amount of flour and the baking time. The other site listed the flour quantity to be 1 1/3 cups vice 1 3/4 cups. The baking time was listed as 75 mins. I think these differences would result in a moist, fully-cooked cake, though I haven't tried it yet. What do you think?
I definitely think the longer baking time would help -- although not sure about the amount of flour? Let me know how it works out if you give it a try!
Stacey Snacks said…
I was going to make this from Ms. Segan's website, but she uses 18 dried figs (which I love), but no where in the directions does it say to add the figs! OK, I have enough good apple cake recipes, so maybe I will skip this one. It should use some olive oil or fat in the recipe.
Thanks for the heads up!
Unknown said…
I'm preparing a series of blog posts about my Italy travels, and I am currently obsessed with this cake. I need to just let it go, but that photo in her book is so gorgeous, and I'm determined to make it well. My first attempt was a disaster because there was too much batter for my standard pan to hold and it overflowed. The second time, I made it in a springform pan, but I increased the batter and it was super dry. The third time I added butter, but it made little difference. I just did my 6th round, though I'm now experimenting with other recipes, but none of them are as pretty as hers. So frustrating!! Glad to know I'm in good company on this one... :-/
Oh my gosh, I so admire your dedication! Please let me know if you work out a recipe that succeeds!
Anonymous said…
I just made my 7th apple cake-- I think the 4th for this recipe?! I looked up a bunch of reviews of this cake, and I *think* (I hope!) I figured out why they keep coming out so dry-- I believe there's a big difference between 8- and 9-inch pans in this case. I bought a deep 8-inch pan and baked it for 50 minutes... it's the most promising one yet, but I'm waiting til tomorrow to cut it open.....