Baked Sunday Mornings: Tomato Soup Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting

I'm so glad that Tomato Soup Cupcakes with Marscapone Frosting were the assignment this week for Baked Sunday Mornings -- I have been thinking about trying this recipe since I saw it featured on Daily Candy last fall before Baked Explorations was even released.

This cupcake is not difficult to make.  You cream together butter with sugar and brown sugar, add in eggs, and then alternately incorporate the dry ingredients (flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and baking powder) and condensed tomato soup that has been mixed with baking soda.  The resulting batter is strongly orange colored, like pumpkin cake. 

While the recipe says it yields 24 cupcakes, I made mine small (using a #20 scoop) so that they wouldn't overflow my scalloped cupcake papers, and I got more than three dozen.  The cupcakes are frosted with a mixture of butter, mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  The frosting is rich and thick, with a full and luscious mouthfeel. 

I had no idea what these were going to taste like, so when the cupcakes were cooled and frosted, I eagerly took a bite.  I was astonished that the cupcake tasted exactly like pumpkin and spice.  The mascarpone frosting is outstanding and goes wonderfully with the spice flavors in the cake.  Unsure if the perceived pumpkin flavor was just the subliminal effect of the orange color, mix of spices, and mascarpone frosting playing tricks on my taste buds, I asked other people to try the cupcakes without revealing what was in them.  Not surprisingly, no one divined that tomato soup was the secret ingredient, but guesses ranged from pumpkin to carrot to apple to sweet potato to citrus.  I'm still marveling at how this chameleon of a cake can keep people guessing!

Recipe: "Tomato Soup Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting" from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented, by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito, recipe available here at Baked Sunday Mornings.

Comments

Louise said…
Mystery Cake always intrigues. According to Campbell's, this cake was first made with canned tomatoes and replaced by tomato soup in the 1920s. M.F.K. Fisher liked Tomato Soup Cake, and mentions it in "How To Cook a Wolf" (1942).
Candy said…
I didn't think pumpkin until I read your post and you're right, there is definately a nod to pumpkin. Beautiful cupcakes!
Bourbonnatrix said…
love your cupcake liners! beautiful!
Bri said…
Your cupcake looks gorgeous! And you're right, pumpkin cake seems to be this cake's cousin. I thought spice cake immediately, but the orange shade is more pumpkin-y.
Jaime said…
They look great! I should try these again with the cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg...everyone seems to have really liked them this way.
Roadtrek Girl said…
Beautiful job on your cupcakes and I love the little scalloped holders-where did you find them ?
Chelly said…
Cupcakes look great....love the liners too! Agree with the pumpkiness!!
@Seattle Pastry Girl -- I have purchased these cupcake liners in small quantities locally at Little Bitts in Wheaton, MD, or in bulk quantity (assorted colors, 500 at a time!) from Surfas in Culver City, CA. Unfortunately, I don't know where they are available nationally or online.
Desiree said…
I'm so behind on my commenting! Love your cupcakes liners! they look great!