Plainly Delicious: Almond Cake with Boysenberry Jam

The February 2011 issue of Bon Appétit contained not only a great brownie recipe, but also a recipe in the RSVP column that I knew I had to try: an "Almond Cake with Boysenberry Jam" from New York City restaurant Locanda Verde.  The current pastry chef at Locanda Verde is Karen DeMasco, author of the fantastic cookbook Craft of Baking, so I had a hunch this would be a great cake (and, as I have previously mentioned, I don't think I've ever met an almond dessert that I didn't like).

As a bonus, you can put this cake together pretty quickly.  You start by running some almond paste and granulated sugar through the food processor.  You then cream the almond paste-sugar mixture with some softened butter and vanilla until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Next, you add in eggs, fold in the sifted dry ingredients (cake flour, baking powder, and salt), and bake.  Once the cake is cooled, you split the cake and spread boysenberry jam between the layers.  With a dusting of powdered sugar (and the recipe suggests sweetened whipped cream as well, although I skipped it), the cake is ready to serve.


This cake has a soft, granular crumb and is incredibly moist.  The flavor is very almond-y, with the jam adding a nice burst of fruit flavor.  The cake doesn't have any fancy bells and whistles, but is simply delicious.

Recipe: "Almond Cake with Boysenberry Jam," from Locanda Verde, featured in the February 2011 Bon Appétit RSVP column.  Unfortunately, this recipe is not available on epicurious.com.

Comments

Louise said…
I'll have to try this recipe very soon as I have some unopened almond paste leftover from my Christmas baking. Today I'm baking a Nigella Lawson cake with boiled down whole clemintines and almond flour.
Unknown said…
I have just discovered your website and it is fantastic! Quick question about this recipe- I tried baking it too, but I am interested how long you cooked it for? The pieces in your photo look perfect!
Many thanks,
Clare.
Clare -- thanks for stopping by! I made a double batch of batter and baked it for 35 minutes in a 9-inch by 13-inch rectangular pan. The cake was quite brown on top (perhaps hard to see under the layer of powdered sugar).
Unknown said…
Thank you so much for your kind advice and getting back to me so quickly. I am totally in love with your sight and will continue to enjoy your posts in the future! :-)