The Malt Fest Continues: Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

After making the Malted Crisp Tart, I had some leftover malted milk powder and malt balls on hand.  Fortunately, I happened to come across Dorie Greenspan's recipe for "Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops" in Baking: From My Home to Yours.  This is a malted chocolate cookie (made from flour, malted milk powder, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and milk), with equal parts coarsely chopped Whoppers and bittersweet chocolate chunks mixed in. 

As Dorie notes in the recipe, the finished batter looks like fudge frosting instead of cookie dough.  Since the batter was so loose, a cookie scoop made it much easier to handle.  I used a #40 scoop and ended up with cookies a little less than three inches in diameter.  

Shortly out of the oven, the cookies had a soft texture, almost like cake.  I didn't like it.  If I want something that tastes like cake, I'll just make cake; this is also why I don't believe in making cakey brownies.  However, by the next day, the cookies had a nice firm texture that definitely was not cake-like in any way.  The mix-ins make this cookie very interesting -- some of the malt ball pieces were crunchy, and others that had been in contact with the pan during baking (they melted, I suppose?) became ultra chewy.  Thus, this cookie is a mix of flavors and textures -- chocolately, malty, chewy, and crunchy.

I thought this cookie was good, but not spectacular.  However, I think it would be outstanding with milk or ice cream.  And for the malt inclined, this cookie definitely delivers!

Recipe: "Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops," from Baking: From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan.

Comments

Louise said…
I wish I had seen this review a couple of weeks ago before making what I think is a similar cookie, minus the chips but rolled in malt plus sanding sugar, called "Side-Slap and Tickle" from 'Sweet and Vicious'. I finally got past my Christmas baking overload funk and made them. They'd been on my "to bake" list for months and while they were good, they just aren't anything I need to make again. Now I'm browsing your blog to see what I might make with malt.