More Thanksgiving Leftovers: Sweet Potato Pound Cake

As I surveyed the kitchen after Thanksgiving, I noticed that we had some left over sweet potatoes. I immediately thought about making some sweet potato pound cake.

I haven't made this cake in over a year (I've only made it twice before), and I remembered it as being fairly tasty, but also a bit on the dense side. I didn't tinker with the recipe or try to make any adjustments, but for some reason, the cake came out much better this time around. The cake had a tight, moist, tender crumb, and the texture was much lighter -- not really like a pound cake. Also, the batter must have been a little thicker, because unlike my previous attempts, the apples didn't sink during baking (you can see in the picture below that the bits of diced apple are evenly distributed throughout the cake).

Last time I posted about this recipe, I hedged a bit, saying it was great with ice cream, but otherwise too heavy. This time, I thought it was fabulous, and I wouldn't have changed a thing. It was perfectly delicious eaten alone, and now I'm eager to start making it more often!

Recipe: "Missy G's Sweet Potato Pound Cake," from All Cakes Considered by Melissa Gray.

Previous Post: "One Cake Considered," October 31, 2009.

Comments