Holiday Baking Begins!: Peppermint Pinwheels

Tom and I are hosting our annual holiday party this Saturday, and I am taking time off from work today and tomorrow to do some baking. Each year, the menu for the party is always a bit of a moving target -- once I actually start baking, I usually have to cross a few planned items off of my overly ambitious list when I just run out of time. This year, I couldn't help myself from making a last minute addition.

Last night, I noticed that the Los Angeles Times had posted online the results of its first ever Holiday Cookie Bake-Off, announcing the top ten recipes. The newspaper had invited readers to submit recipes, and the top 50 recipes were chosen for a bake-off where several members of the Times food section staff tasted every single cookie. The picture of one of the top ten recipes immediately caught my eye. The Peppermint Pinwheels were just so dang cute and colorfully festive that I figured I could squeeze them into my baking schedule.

I decided to make a double batch of cookies, so that I could make both red and green pinwheels (these are for a holiday party, after all). It was very easy to make the dough, but I had a little more trouble rolling it out. The uncolored dough was fairly sticky even though I rolled it out on parchment paper. The colored doughs didn't stick at all. I refrigerated my pinwheel rolls overnight, and they cut cleanly and easily this morning.

These cookies are just delightful. They are very pretty, with a light minty flavor and sturdy shortbread-like texture. I think they will be a wonderful addition to our party menu!

Recipe: "Peppermint Pinwheels," submitted by Shauna Cruz and published in the December 16, 2010, Los Angeles Times.

Comments