An Old School Throwback: Sugar Cookie Jewels

Maybe I just have M&Ms on my mind lately, but when I noticed that M&Ms were on sale at the drugstore last week, I had a flashback to college, when I used to make M&M Sugar Cookie Jewels regularly. I bought a bag of Dark Chocolate M&Ms and went home to bake.

I first discovered this recipe in an M&M recipe booklet I purchased at a grocery store checkout stand in college (apparently it was also the November 1995 recipe of the month on the M&M website, as I still have a yellowed printout from that era). The version in my booklet is slightly different than the one currently available online. The older version (which is the one I'm sticking with) calls for 2 sticks of butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 large egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and a 12-oz bag of M&M Mini Baking Bits (tiny M&Ms that you can use in place of chocolate chips in baking projects). I have always used regular M&Ms for this recipe instead of the tiny baking bits and made these cookies oversized; that way it's easy to make seasonal cookies as M&Ms puts out different colored candies during the holidays (red and pink ones for Valentine's Day, pastel ones for Easter, orange and black for Halloween, and red and green for Christmas).

This is a very simple recipe -- essentially just a basic sugar cookie populated with M&Ms. This is the first time I've tried it with Dark Chocolate M&Ms, and I think it is a big improvement over the regular variety.

These cookies come out quite pale and thin, and because they are so thin, they can be a bit fragile and and are prone to breakage. But as simple as they are, they are quite delicious. The sugar cookie-dark chocolate pairing really is an inspired combination.

Recipe: "M&M Sugar Cookie Jewels," available here.

Comments

Elizabeth said…
I remember these from law school -- so good!