Fall Sneak Preview: Maple Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

I know that not too long ago I was professing a longing for summer (or more specifically, summer fruits), but really, I've had just about enough of the stiflingly oppressive DC summer weather. I am so ready for fall. With this mindset, earlier this week I decided to try a recipe for Maple Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies from Elinor Klivans's Big Fat Cookies. The very name of the recipe screams autumn.

The batter for these cookies contains flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, butter, dark brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, oats, and dried cranberries. These cookies baked up very flat, dark brown in color, and -- true to the name of the cookbook from whence the recipe came -- they were enormous, 4.25 inches in diameter.
I was disappointed that I couldn't detect the maple flavor in the cookies at all, even though the recipe calls for a fairly significant amount of maple syrup (one half cup). These cookies had a super chewy texture and warm cinnamon flavor that was positively addictive. I suspect this batter would also make an outstanding chocolate chip oatmeal cookie as well.

Recipe: "Maple Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies," from Big Fat Cookies by Elinor Klivans.

Comments