Woolly Biscuits Take II: Coconut Teacakes

Last week I received a King Arthur Flour catalog that included a recipe for some gorgeous looking Coconut Teacakes -- white cubes of cake coated in red raspberry glaze and coconut. These little gems are a raspberry variation of a Lamington. After having discovered Lamingtons only a couple of months ago, I was eager to try the recipe.

I made one slight change to the recipe. I didn't have any coconut milk powder on hand. Instead, I used one cup of light coconut milk in place of the coconut milk powder and milk. I also didn't use any additional coconut flavor. While the raw batter did have a distinct coconut fragrance, the baked cake had no discernible coconut flavor. As it turned out, I don't think this made a huge difference. Given that the cakes are rolled in coconut, there is plenty of coconut in every bite!

The cake was extremely dense but also very moist and still spongy. When it comes to baked goods, the word "dense" can have a variety of connotations. There's the bad sort of "dense," like a year-old fruitcake. But there are also good sorts of "dense," like a super fudgy brownie. This cake was dense like memory foam (very similar to Marcel Desaulniers' white chocolate patty cake), which is a great thing in my book.

The texture of the cake was easy to slice and held up very well to being coated with raspberry jam and rolled in coconut. I only had one minor issue with the raspberry glaze. The mixture thickened as it cooled, so I had to reheat the glaze a few times to maintain a fluid consistency when it started to get gloppy (but the glaze did set up perfectly at room temperature on the finished cakes). I also toasted my coconut until it was golden brown, so my Lamingtons didn't have the same snowy white appearance as the ones in the picture from the King Arthur recipe.

These little cakes were fantastic. The cake was moist, the raspberry jam was lovely, and the texture of the toasted coconut was delightful. All of the flavors went together beautifully, and the teacakes were adorable. I cut mine into 2-inch cubes, which were pretty sizable. The recipe directs you to cut the cakes into 3-inch squares, which I think would be ridiculously large, unless maybe you're trying to feed an entire family.

These super cute cakes taste as good as they look!

Recipe: Coconut Teacakes from King Arthur Flour.

Previous Post: "Bloody Poofy Woolly Biscuits: Lamington Cupcakes," May 2, 2010.

Comments

Suelle said…
That looks quite an unusual recipe, with so many egg whites and the added fibre. Still - the end result looks delicious.

I think your toasted coconut coating looks nicer than the King Arthur photo.
I was very surprised at the wonderful texture of this cake, given the use of mostly egg whites (as I mentioned in the post, it's similar in texture to the white chocolate patty cake, but the patty cake is full of white chocolate and egg yolks). I forgot to mention that I didn't have any Hi-maize Natural Fiber, so I used the 50-50 mix of cornstarch and flour instead. I'm not sure if that's what did the trick!
Venus de Hilo said…
I really need to stop reading your blog before breakfast; it makes me want cake. These look so yummy. Wish I had a plate of them to enjoy with my coffee.