A Whole Less Than the Sum of Its Parts: Chocolate-Orange Brownies

Last week as Tom was flipping through the most recent issue of Bon Appétit, he brought the magazine over to me, pointed to a recipe for Chocolate-Orange Brownies and said it looked like something that I should try. I looked it over and quickly agreed. The recipe ran in the magazine's R.S.V.P. column, which features restaurant recipes that are obtained in response to reader requests, akin to the Los Angeles Times Culinary S.O.S. column. I had high hopes for this recipe from the Homepage Cafe in Bozeman, Montana. I really like the combination of chocolate and orange together, and I thought it would be good to have another orange brownie recipe to turn to since I've had some problems with the other recipe I've been relying on.

The ingredient list includes cocoa (dissolved in boiling water), dark brown sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, pecans, eggs, melted butter, grated orange peel, and vanilla.

The magazine describes these brownies as "cake-like," which is basically accurate. They were somewhere between cakey and fudgy, with the overall texture being somewhat sticky and difficult to cut cleanly. The brownies had a lovely and strong orange aroma, but only a subtle orange taste, and an underwhelming chocolate flavor. All in all, these half-fudgy, half-cakey, half-chocolately, half-orangey, half-sticky squares completely failed to impress. I would much rather risk it with the Midnight Chocolate Brownie Bite recipe from the L.A. Times the next time I'm in the mood for chocolate and orange.

Recipe: "Chocolate-Orange Brownies" from Bon Appétit, March 2010. [This recipe is not available on-line yet; I'll update this post with a link if/when it gets added to epicurious.com.]

Comments